Friday, December 31, 2010

the oddity of familiarity

Yesterday was the first time I've been to Queen Anne for over 4 months. Honestly? It was weird. I lived there for 5 years, but it felt so long ago.

And yet, the oddest thing to me was that I recognized a lot of the cars on Queen Anne Avenue...the blue Toyota with the Texas license plate. The silver Mazda that looks like mine but is one year older. The list goes on and on.... I drove past these cars every weekday last year, and it provided a weird sense of solidarity that I never experience in Boston.

I love living in Boston--I have no regrets, which is a somewhat new feeling. After four months, I still experience a nearly overwhelming excitement when I step off the T at Government Center and see Faneuil Hall. I love it there. But I do miss the solidarity of home.

No comments:

Post a Comment