Saturday, March 26, 2011

missing janae detwiler (and other such thoughts)

I'm sitting in a coffee shop (of sorts) working on a difficult midterm and missing Janae Detwiler so much. I often do, but today, I miss her in particular and a lot. I thought I'd post a quotation from one of her favorites:


"this world is where i breathe. let it never be called home."



I've been thinking about this quotation a lot the past few years since I first read it, and I don't really have any conclusions just yet.

But it does make me remember something someone said to me the other day, "Ghandi was the best Christian since the Apostles." It made me so happy and so sad at the same time.

For years, I have loved that moment in church on Easter Sunday morning when people greet you with the following words "Christ has risen" and you respond "He has risen indeed". And yet I'm also so sad right now as I think about that moment, because for some, most, for me sometimes even, Christianity has been so tainted...and it makes me so sad, because He--Christ, Immanuel, God with us--is the fullest form of Good and Wonder and Beauty.

People do such stupid crap all the time. I'm confused and frustrated about a lot, but I do know this...I respect and cherish people who serve others, who love to serve others, no matter their religious creed or beliefs or anything. Thank God for good people who love...and I don't say that lightly.

My last random thought is this: Christ has risen, and praise God for that. Now let us go forth with that knowledge and that song in our hearts, and love unselfishly as He first loved us.

No comments:

Post a Comment