Thursday, July 28, 2011

summer.

As I sit here, staring at my to-do list, I suddenly realized: I have five weeks left to summer. FIVE. Even though the time is passing and the day of my departure from Seattle nears, I still have FIVE weeks left to burn and freckle my fair skin, study (two finals next week and one in a few weeks!), read, relax, enjoy my wonderful friends, eat berry pies, to drink PNW coffee, water, wine and beer...

A few days ago, I had this Debby downer moment...I've begun to realize how badly I want to be in my own apartment, with my things, with my own time and schedule, and working toward something I am passionate about, with the freedom to do as I will...and all of those things are in Boston. But eventually they will be in Seattle. And I don't really want to be in Boston (as much as I love it there and the wonderful people who await me...seriously, how lucky am I? My brothers, my sister-in-law, two of my best friends from college all live in Boston! Or near enough to it). But I want to be in Seattle. Which could be semi-permanently, obviously, because I don't really know where I want to be or should be at this point. Colorado is still calling to me sweetly, and a long trip to Europe is always on the back burner of my mind...not to mention southern Africa, where a special needs hospital pulls at my heart.

As the beloved TF used to quote, "this too shall pass." Eventually this particular period of life will be over, and I'll be moving on to another one. Please don't misunderstand me, I do love the period I'm in right now. I think, though, that the Someone who knows me well is lighting a fire under my feet, preparing me for the next step, just as He did when He prepared me for moving to Boston a few years ago...it always starts as a slight discomfort which slowly develops into a temperately burning passion and desire...oxymoron? Maybe. But my whole being is an oxymoron, let's be honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment